In today’s episode, you’ll learn how to encourage baby to walk
During the first life, your baby will develop the coordination of their movements and strengthens their muscles. First of all, they will learn to sit and crawl, then to stand; from there, everything is a matter of confidence and balance.
Some babies walk before the year, others may be delayed until 16 or 17 months, without meaning a delay in their development. In the meantime, they will continue to perfect their movement with the help of support.
How To Encourage Baby To Walk
- Don’t force him. The crawling is more important or more than the march for their psychomotor development. The games and activities that you propose must incite the march. Invite him to reach something.
- It stimulates their confidence. His instinct leads him to get up. But if he feels fear, he will remain immobile; he will even cry waiting for a rescue. If so, go to his side and help him.
- Make Power of their balance. Make sure your baby is standing and barefoot. Without shoes, its stability is greater. Choose a shoe with a soft sole so they can recognize the surface. There they are moving because it is useful information for their balance.
- Give them security. Stand in front of them, hold their hands and try to make them walk towards you. Then, you can give them only one hand and alternate them so that the fear of letting go will be removed little by little.
- Always watch them. Always make sure that the place where they walk is safe and never leave your baby unsupervised during this stage to prevent a fall from slowing them down.
- Do not dramatize. If you see him fall, go smiling and play down.
- Offer a mobile support. A walker, a drawer that can drag or the basket of clothes can serve as support for walking. Play with him to transport dolls in the basket dragging him around the room.
A year or a half and still not walking, I am worried?
If you notice a significant delay in your baby’s walking or you have doubts about their development, you should consult with doctors. But remember that certain children such as premature babies present a slower rhythm.
However, it does not hurt to make sure that everything is going well because some disorders such as an undiagnosed vision deficit can cause problems to maintain balance.
On the other hand, make sure you provide the right conditions for their psychomotor development. Space where they usually are or the activity they do should not limit their movements.
Don’t try to leave them sitting in their chair for a long time. Approach their favorite object at a distance, and you will see how they manage to go to pick it up. Thus it will make them exercise the muscles, help, and interest to start moving independently.
It is usual for all children to adopt the same pattern before learning to walk:
- They usually learn to master the sitting position between six and eight months.
- The crawling comes between eight and ten months.
- The fork to start walking is wider: between nine and 18 months.
- From one day to the next, the baby will change perspective and begin to see everything from above, standing with some support (with his hands on a stool, holding the bars of his crib …) and he will like the new world, that in a short time will be launched to walk.
It is important not to forget that each child has its own rhythm. We should not compare with each other. Every baby is a world!
Tips for how to encourage baby to walk
It is important that our son takes his first steps in an area free of objects that can harm him, for example, unprotected furniture. But firm surfaces, such as grass or carpet will help them get started in this important learning.
It is inevitable that the child suffers a few drops before mastering the balance. If dad or mom is present, he will feel safe despite the occasional whiplash or bump.
Besides, it is advisable to line the corners of the tables, cover plugs, and remove objects that may be dangerous from your path…
A support can help the child to develop motor functions is the cradle-park: the playpen.
According to experts in psychomotricity, it gathers all the necessary elements to stimulate the child until it takes their first steps: a solid structure, a free space, a pleasant and comfortable floor.
To encourage him to do so, you can place their favorite toy on one side of the park and point it out for him to pick it up.
Of course, you will only keep the little one in the park for a while: he needs more space to investigate, browse and go … step by step.
To sink the feet in the sand, to walk on the grass, to climb on the feet of dad … They are new discoveries that naturally stimulate the baby that takes its first steps. And that help prevent possible postural defects.
You should keep in mind that not all babies are the same and start walking at the same age. It is normal to start with 9 months, but also with 15.
Therefore, you should accompany your baby in their learning, but do not force something that they do not want or are not prepared, not only physically but also psychologically.
It is important that you do not compare and you make your first steps a playful and fun question.
Remember that each child has its own rhythm of development. You should not force it if you are not yet ready for it and do not forget to have it in your sight to avoid accidents.